The chemicals industry has unique characteristics that set the stage for a host of forces that constantly challenge its growth. For example, the industry has become increasingly global with aggressive competition from emerging markets, more widespread stringent government compliance, increasing prices for raw materials, long and unreliable lead times for railcar delivery, and high costs for disposal of obsolete product and environmental hazardous waste. At the same time, companies within this sector continue to grapple with capital intensity, manufacturing processes with little flexibility to respond to short runs and quick turnarounds to meet customer demand, the need to invest in innovation and R&D, and heavy dependence on energy consumption.
Argo applies a holistic transformation approach by combining and enhancing some of the world’s best manufacturing tools and philosophies such as Lean, Six Sigma, VA/VE and the Failure Mode and Effects Analysis. Argo understands how operations support business strategy.
In our work with clients in the chemicals sector, Argo works with clients to achieve and sustain superior results by:
- Improving manufacturing processes and implementing best practices to increase consistency of product quality.
- Shortening the new-product introduction time-line and using Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) on new products or new machinery.
- Improving quality by identifying and resolving the root cause of systemic problems—not simply using short-term fixes on end products.
- Reducing order to cash cycles, whether attacking order entry, process times, inventories, or accounts payable.
- Enhancing systems for forecasting, planning and scheduling for just-in-time inventory levels.
- Using training and follow-up techniques to ensure that desired behaviors such as safety and environmental work practices become ingrained in organizational culture.
Our global team of consultants has a depth of technical expertise and a proven track record of leading and implementing successful transformations. Our people bring a wide range of professional experience from some of the most operationally excellent companies in the world.
We diagnose areas of waste, variability, and inefficiency in the operating system and then redesign, and implement, not just the new production system, but also the management structure that improves the bottom line and ensures accountability and sustainability. By working hand-in-hand with our client’s employees, we ensure the buy-in from the senior leadership team all the way to the front line employee, leaving behind a new culture, new mindsets and new behaviors.
We look deeply and broadly, not just at operational processes, but also into all functions and dynamics to leverage opportunities for improvement, including R&D, Marketing & Sales, supplier influences, inventory, setup reduction, standard work, back office and interfaces between departments.